Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zucchini Coconut Breakfast Cookies

I was inspired to make these while thumbing through the current King Arthur Flour catalog.  I'm a big fan of zucchini bread, and have never been a coconut fan.  When I was sitting on the couch after getting my wisdom teeth out, I watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen, where they made a three layer coconut cake and for some reason, coconut sounded really good.  Then, of course, this catalog comes in the mail that day and I HAD to make these.  

The original recipe in the catalog was for popovers or a loaf, but I did a lot of alterations on the recipe and the batter was thick, so I opted to scoop the dough onto a parchment lined sheet for a soft muffin top-like cookie- YUM!  I made them Sunday, it's the closest to solid food I can eat since they're soft and easily chewed.  They were so good and gone by Monday afternoon- hit with the kids too- that I made another batch last night.  The coconut is not a prevalent flavor, but it adds a nice sweetness not to be ignored.  If you're looking for a variation on your zucchini bread, give this a try.
Zucchini Coconut Breakfast Cookies:

Oven:  350'

2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups grated zucchini (I didn't measure, just used two medium sized zucchini)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

1) Preheat the oven to 350'.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2) Beat sugar, brown sugar, and butter until smooth and fluffy, about 4 minutes on medium high.

3) Add eggs and vanilla, mix, then scrape sides down, mix again.

4) Combine flours, baking soda, and baking powder, set aside.  Shred zucchini and set aside.

5) Slowly add dry ingredients to bowl of mixer and mix until combined.  Scrape down sides.  Add in zucchini and coconut, mix again until combined. Scrape down sides.

6) Use a large cookie scoop, drop batter onto prepared baking sheets.  I'd say it was about 3 TBSP sized scoop or more.  I was able to yield 15 cookies each time.

7) Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Be sure to rotate halfway through.  Cookies are done when cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

8) Let cool, then glaze.

Glaze:
2 TBSP butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2-3 TBSP milk
1/2 tsp vanilla (or coconut extract)

optional:  toast 1/4 cup coconut and sprinkle on top after glazing.

Cream the butter and confectioner's sugar.  Add in vanilla.  Slowly add milk until desired thickness.  I wanted mine slightly thicker than pudding, so it wasn't too runny.

Source:  Inspired by King Arthur Flour catalog 

No comments:

Post a Comment