Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chocolate Glazed Funfetti Birthday Donuts

Before I say anything, I have two words about these donuts:  WICKED. GOOD.

Ok, so, these donuts.  I found them a few weeks ago, actually, I made them on Mother's Day for breakfast.  I figured it'd be a fun breakfast for the kids to butter them up for some good behavior since Dave was out of town.  I also figured they'd be easy for me to dissolve in my mouth since my wisdom teeth had only been out for two days at that point.  They were so good, but it was hard to enjoy without being fully able to chew them.

My son's sixth birthday was yesterday and I was feeling so guilty because of the 26 birthdays I have celebrated with my children so far, I have never ever missed one.  I had class last night so I wasn't going to be home for cake. Even though he had a friend party Sunday and we were having whoopie pies before I left for class, I still wanted to do something extra special for my little guy.  I knew that seeing a giant plate of these on the table would make any birthday boy feel special and after a few bites (donuts), I wasn't feeling so guilty anymore.

Besides the obvious tastiness of the donuts, they are baked not fried- Happy Birthday to everyone on that !
Chocolate Glazed Funfetti Donuts:


Oven:  425'
Donuts:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
3 egg whites
1/2 TBSP vanilla (~2tsp)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup your favorite sprinkles

Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
3 TBSP cocoa powder
3 TBSP milk (or more depending how thin you want your glaze to be)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1) Preheat oven to 425'.  Spray your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.  (I'm usually not a cooking spray fan, but for the donut pan, trust me, it's easier).

2) Cream butter and sugar in bowl of mixer with paddle attachment on medium, until light and fluffy.

3) Separate egg whites into a small bowl.  Add egg whites and vanilla into bowl with butter and sugar. Mix, then scrape down sides.

4) In medium bowl, combine flour, cake flour, and baking powder.  Alternately with the milk, add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl in two additions.  Scrape down sides.  Add in sprinkles, lightly mix until combined.

5) For easiest method of filling the donut pan, I put the batter into a piping bag with the largest tip opening I have.  You can also put it in a ziploc bag and cut off the corner.  Pipe a small circle of batter into each donut well (1/2 full height-wise).

6) Bake 7-9 minutes (I used a mini donut pan, so I did 7 minutes).  Let cool about 5 minutes.  Remove donuts from pan, regrease, add more batter, and bake some more.

7) While donuts are baking, prepare the glaze, by whisking all ingredients together until smooth.  Dip the top of a warm donut into the glaze.  Sit on a plate or cooling rack and shake on some sprinkles.
Yield:  40 mini donuts

Source:  Sugarcrafter
For a little extra something something, serve the milk in ice cream sundae glasses.  Your kids will not care if you're not home on their bday night for sure!
We heart these donuts!

He could barely wait til I was done taking pictures to eat one:






No comments:

Post a Comment