Monday, June 8, 2015

Iron Sharpens Iron

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
This verse means so much to me.  Over the last year, I've done a lot of soul searching.  I've really realized how important it is to surround yourself with people who bring you up.  People who make you want to be better, and people who allow you to make them better too.

Last year I made a choice to put myself in a better situation with more supportive positive people.    The first day in my new situation, I felt free and alive.  I had found my sharpening stone.

I recently bought myself a shirt, with the verse "iron sharpens iron" from a crossfit company.  I loved the parallel between the weightlifting and the relationship with human beings.  CrossFit is an important part of my life, as are people.

The day after I bought the shirt, I was reading in one of my books, and literally, no lie, the page I opened to was entitled "Iron Sharpens Iron".  All the hairs on my arm stood up!

The past year of my life, I have been sharpened so much, I have grown, and I have learned.  Mostly I have been freed to be me and see an even greater me.

Do your friends lift you up?

Does your spouse make you better?

Do your coworkers support you?

Life is too short to spend with plastic.  Are the people in your life strong, supportive, and challenging?  Do they make you want to be who you want to be?

As I've been growing into my own, one thing I've been realizing is we can't change everyone.  We can be supportive and helpful, but there is only so much abuse and complaining we can take before enough is enough.

If you want to be stronger, you need to sharpen yourself on something stronger and sharper.  If the people in your life are constantly bringing you down, it is time to move on.  You can be their iron, but if they are constantly coming back dull, it doesn't matter how many times you sharpen them because they are making you rust.

I used to be in a situation where I felt as though my friend needed me to help them through a tough situation.  But, what I found was the situation wasn't going to change, what did change was me.  I became more and more exhausted from feeling trapped into hearing the same miserable story day in and out, with no resolve.  I was allowing myself to be brought down by my friend's misery.  I was more frustrated, irritable, and tired as a result.  Once I removed myself from the situation, I felt happy and alive again!

You may feel like you are the iron for someone you care deeply for.  However, if they are constantly putting you in a position where you are the one doing all the giving, and you are left feeling down- it is time to move on.

Life is too short to spend it with anything less than the sharpest iron.

Put yourself in situations where you are surrounded with supportive, loving, positive people.

You are not alone, you can be better, there is always a brighter side- you go out there and you find your iron and when you do, you will rise up.





4 comments:

  1. Hey Liz. Have you ever read "The Iron" by Henry Rollins? This post reminded me of that. Here's a link:

    http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/strength-articles/iron-henry-rollins

    ReplyDelete
  2. pg slot wallet เว็บไซต์เกม สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน ทรูวอลเล็ตไม่มีอย่างน้อย ใหม่ปัจจุบันในปี 2021 นี้ ถูกปรับปรุง ประดิษฐ์กราฟฟิก ความหลากหลายรายลักษณะของเกม มีเกมให้เล่นมากมาย

    ReplyDelete
  3. pg slot auto Pg Auto ทางเข้าเล่น หรือ pgslot-th เกมพีจีสล็อจ pg สล็อตออนไลน์ (pg slot auto) จากค่าย pg soft และก็ บาคาร่า ออนไลน์ ที่มาใน รูปแบบใหม่ เป็นเกมส์ ยอดฮิต

    ReplyDelete
  4. เล่นสล็อต Songkran Splash PG Slot โดดเด่นที่สุดคือการใช้กราฟิกและเอฟเฟกต์ที่สวยงาม เกมใหม่ พีจี สล็อต ไม่ว่าจะเป็นเสียงเพลงในเกม หรือการเล่นหมุนล้อที่มีการส่งน้ำและพ่นน้ำเล็กๆ รางวัล ทำให้เกมสล็อต นักเดิมพันที่ชื่นชอบการเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete