Monday, September 26, 2011

Busy Cooking: Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Syrup

Here I am sitting at Starbucks, using their free Wifi, and I'm typing up a post about how to make your own knock off pumpkin spice lattes.  I couldn't just stop at making the pumpkin spice latte cupcakes, I had to keep going and try to make my own pumpkin spice lattes.  These are the things that keep me busy late at night while I'm up with a sick baby.  I found a few versions when I was searching, but I decided on one from Cooks Like a Champion.

I bought the Starbucks pumpkin spice syrup a few years ago to make my own while living in Japan. Quite honestly, they never tasted like I wanted, they were too sweet.  I made the syrup yesterday and it smelled like potpourri.  Well, I was worried I was going to feel like I was drinking a bag of spiced pinecones when I used this syrup.  The end result was shockingly delicious, enough to make me think once I get internet at my house on Tuesday, I can kick my Starbucks habit and save some money ;)

Pumpkin Spice Syrup:

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
3 TBSP pumpkin puree (I might add 4 the next time I make this)

1) In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water until sugar is dissolved.

2) Whisk in remaining ingredients, let simmer 6 minutes (try not to let it boil).  Mine did (oops)

3) Let cool slightly, strain with a fine mesh sieve.  My sieve had a ton of stuff (mainly the undissolved spices)- I actually got worried it was going to detract from the flavor of the syrup and I saved them until the syrup had completely cooled and I could test it.  I wanted to make sure it would taste right before I threw them all away and it was delicious.  So, don't worry if you have 2 or so TBSP of leftovers on the sieve.

4) Put in a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator.  Some settling will occur, so stir each time before using it. If you look at the picture below, you can see a line towards the bottom where the settling began.
Pumpkin spice latte:

1 shot espresso ***
1 1/2 TBSP pumpkin spice syrup
8 oz steamed milk

Put syrup and espresso into cup, stir in milk.  Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.  I think the whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice really make the drink go the extra mile.
***If you don't have an espresso maker, a shot of really strong brew can work, or just add the syrup to your favorite hot or cold coffee drink.

Maybe all this coffee will help me unpack faster so I can get my sewing stuff out.

Happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment