Thursday, April 12, 2012

Black Bean Burritos

Ok, if you know me, you might be thinking, "did she seriously make and eat black bean burritos?"  Yes, I did and in fact, I have made them MANY times!  All of my kids but one will eat them and it literally takes all of ten minutes to make- that sold me on the recipe right there.

When I was a kid, my mom made this 1,000,000 bean soup - no lie, there were that many beans in it.  She would not let us leave the table until we ate it.  It took some serious strategy to figure out how to make it disappear without eating it, but luckily I was sitting relatively close to the trash.  Since then, I have been averse to beans, with the exception of course to Boston Baked Beans.

This winter, I made some chili, which I will post about later, that had black beans in it.  They were surprisingly good.  I'm really trying to make more quality healthy meals for my family and I thought this recipe sounded good and I know beans are healthy.  I'm glad I tried it because I truly enjoyed it.  If you like black beans, give this a try, or if you've never cooked with them, give this a try- you might surprise yourself too.

Black Bean Burritos:
(Note:  this recipe can easily be cut in half, I have done that too)

2 cloves garlic
2 tsp canola oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp minced chipotle chili in adobo sauce (I omitted, but if you like spice, put it in)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup water, chicken broth, OR vegetable broth
2 15-oz cans black beans, draine and rinsed
6 TBSP salsa

To serve:
flour tortillas
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
sliced green onion
lettuce

1) Heat oil in skillet.  Add minced garlic into pan, along with chili powder, minced chipotle chili, and salt.  Cook until fragrant 30-40 seconds.

2) Add beans and water or broth to pan, bring to a boil over medium heat.  Reduce heat to a simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

3) Remove pan from heat, stir in salsa, and slightly mash up some of the beans with the back of a spoon.

4) Lay a tortilla on a plate, put on lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.  Scoop on the bean mix, top with chopped onion, roll up, and enjoy!

Source:  adapted from Pink Parsley, who adapted it from Cooking Light, January 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment