Friday, February 11, 2011

Chocolate Chocolate Chip "Brownie" Cookies

Several months ago, I went with my neighbors to a bagel shop that had these delicious chocolate chocolate chip cookies.  I can't even describe how good they were, it was like fudge, brownie, and cookie in one.  Since then, I have been online looking for recipes to try.  I made one last week, while it was good, the outer edge was crisp, more like a merengue, not what I was looking for.  These ones however, might be as good as it gets.

My neighbors had a sayonara party for me this week and I needed to bring something to share.  It was a perfect opportunity to try out a recipe for the perfect chocolate chocolate chip cookies I had been searching for.

I found the recipe on a blog called Brown Eyed Baker, and the thing that immediately drew me to the recipe was that she got it from Baker's Illustrated.  They are a part of Cook's Illustrated, my favorite cooking magazine, if you didn't already know.  First of all, I can't believe I don't own that cook book, it is definitely going to be a gift I am giving myself for my birthday this year.  Seriously if you ever want to get yourself a cookbook, get the Cook's Illustrated Family Baking Book, Best 10 years of Cooks Illustrated, or Baking Illustrated.  I have never made something that didn't turn out good from their recipes.

Triple Chocolate Cookies:


Oven:  350'

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used Nestle choc. chips)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder
10 TBSP (1 1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini, wish I used the regular sized)

1) Mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl, set aside.

2) In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla.  Add in coffee powder, set aside for coffee to dissolve.

3) In either a double boiler or microwave (alternating 30 seconds of heating and mixing), melt the 16 oz. of semi- sweet chocolate.  Let cool slightly.  Meanwhile, in bowl of mixer, cream sugar, brown sugar, and butter.

4) While mixer is on low, add in the egg mixture.  Scrape down sides.  Add in the melted chocolate and beat until combined.  Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips.

5) Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.  Mixture will thicken and become fudge-like. Drop cookies onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.  (I opted to put Candy Cane Hersey Kisses on the tops of some of my cookies after they were removed from the oven).

Wouldn't your Valentine just love a plate of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment