Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes


A few weeks ago when I had jet lag, I thought of some cupcakes that I wanted to make.  About two days later, my brother asked me to make some cupcakes for my sister-in-laws 30th birthday.  The timing couldn't have been better!

The idea started one morning when I was thinking of all the types of ice cream I wanted to make with my new ice cream maker, mint chocolate chip being one of them since it's my oldest son's favorite.  Then, I began thinking about mint chocolate cupcakes and since I recently made the chocolate chip cookie dough ones for my son's birthday, the ideas morphed into these cupcakes.  (which, by the way, were very very tasty!)

For the cake, I used the chocolate cake recipe I used when I made the Peanut butter dulce de leche cupcakes, it's from Martha Stewart Cupcakes.  For the filling, I tweaked the one from Annie's Eats for her chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes.  Finally, for the icing, I adapted the whipped icing from the triple layer cake I made from the Pastry Queen cookbook.

OVEN:  350'

Cupcakes:

3/8 cup cocoa powder
3/8 cup hot water
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
5/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
1 1/8 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream

In small bowl mix cocoa powder and hot water, set aside.  In saucepan, over medium low, melt butter and stir in sugar until combined.  Place butter/sugar mixture in the bowl of the mixer, with paddle attachment and beat until cooled.  Add in eggs, one at a time, scrape down sides of bowl.  Add in vanilla.  Slowly add in cocoa mixture.

In separate medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  In alternate additions, add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and the sour cream.  Scrape down sides of bowl, mix until combined.

Pour batter into muffin cups- I made 24 mini cupcakes and about 9 large cupcakes.  For the minis, bake about 14-17 minutes and the large about 19-23 minutes ( when a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean).  Let cool completely on baking rack.

Filling:

2 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
3 TBSP brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
3.5 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup mint chocolate chips

Cream together the butter and brown sugar, add in sweetened condensed milk, mix.  Scrape down bowl, add in flour and vanilla, mix and scrape down bowl.  Fold in the chips.

To fill the cupcakes, I used the cone method, once they were cooled to room temp and added a scoop of filling into each.  The filling is very thick and I would not recommend using a pastry bag or similar tool to fill them, the cone method is definitely easiest.

Icing:

2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp peppermint extract
5/8 cup confectioner's sugar

Beat the cream in a bowl for about 5-7 minutes until stiff peaks form, it will be like cool whip.  Add in confectioner's sugar and peppermint extract, beat until combined.  I added in a few drops of green food coloring for effect and I used our rotary cheese grater to add in some flakes of mint chocolate.  After icing, I used the rest of the flakes for garnish.

I think the light fluffiness of the icing offset the richness of the filling and cake and made me feel better about the amount of frosting on top of the cupcakes.

Note:  All of these recipes are half of the originals that I linked to.

I love having a big family because there are potentially lots of birthdays to bake for.  Happy 30th!

I linked this up to to Sweets for a Saturday #8 at Sweet as Sugar Cookies Blog.

5 comments:

  1. People must get a huge smile on their faces when they bite into your cupcakes and find that yummy surprise inside. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd be delighted if you'd stop by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to make chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes. Adding mint is a great idea.

    I'm hosting a weekly link up, Sweet Tooth Friday, and I'd love to have you share your recipe. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/10/vanilla-donuts/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These mint chocolate cookie dough cupcakes are gorgeous! Look so tempting! :) Thanks for sharing.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound AMAZING! I am always looking for a new cupcake recipe! There is just something about cupcakes that just bring a big smile to peoples faces!

    I found you at Sweets for Saturday! It would be great if you could visit my blog at cundysculinarycreations.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything Mint Chocolate will get me every time. I found you at Sweet as Sugar Cookies. You can check out my blog as well at http://dinnerordessert.blogspot.com/

    Happy baking! :)

    ReplyDelete