Sunday, February 5, 2012

Multigrain Blueberry Pancakes

Let's just start by me saying, "these are the BEST pancakes I have ever made!"

It's no secret, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!  I've actually been searching for a go to pancake recipe that I love for quite some time now.  I found a great one in Cook's Illustrated, but a few times that I made them, they came out chewy.  I want fat and fluffy pancakes!

News flash, if the pancake batter isn't thick (like oatmeal), you're probably going to get some chewy pancakes.  These pancakes are so good, I've made them three times in two weeks!  I saw the recipe on Smitten Kitchen over the summer, but for some reason, was hesitant to try them because of the multigrain- what a mistake!

You can't even tell there's rye or whole wheat flour in there.  Sometimes wheat flour makes things dense, not these.  I think the major secret is the 1 cup of yogurt in the mix.

With yogurt, rye flour, wheat flour, and blueberries, these pancakes give you a great start to your day.  (My kids LOVED them, without the blueberries).

Try them today, you won't be sorry.

Source:  Smitten Kitchen

Multigrain Blueberry Pancakes:

2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt (I've only used non-fat, she recommended full fat- can be regular or Greek)
2-4 TBSP milk
3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup rye, barley, or oat flour
2 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP + 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries

1) If not serving right away, preheat oven to 200', with a baking sheet inside.  You can place pancakes here to keep them warm and fresh until serving.

2) Melt 2 TBSP butter, add remaining 1 TBSP butter and mix in until melted.  This will help keep the melted butter cool.

3) Mix flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.

4) Whisk eggs and yogurt in large bowl.  If you are using greek yogurt, add 4 TBSP milk, if regular, just 2 TBSP milk.  Whisk in lemon zest and vanilla.  Mix in melted butter.

5) Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until just combined.  Batter will appear very thick.  You can add another TBSP milk if you think it is too thick.

6) Heat griddle, add a little butter to grease the hot pan.  Drop batter onto pan in 1/4 cup portions.  Place blueberries on tops of pancakes.  When bubbles form on the tops, flip the pancakes, cook until sides are cooked through.  Place in heated oven or serve immediately.

Makes 8-10 medium sized pancakes.






No comments:

Post a Comment