Sunday, February 12, 2012

Police Officer DIY Photo Valentine

My son loves cars, especially police cars!  When trying to decide what to do for his school Valentine's, it wasn't hard to guess it would have to do with cars.

The one challenge was he wanted to give Peppermint Patties as a treat with his Valentine's cards.

This is what I came up with:
We got the pj's at BabyGap last summer (I've seen similar ones at many stores).  The hat is part of our dress up collection.  I had him point to me like he was going to arrest me.

The police car is from another picture that I cut and pasted in using photoshop, which if you don't have it, you should be able to download a free 30-day trial and I know a lot of people use picnic.com to do photo editing.  I printed them as 4x6 pictures at Walmart 1 hour photo.

I used an exacto knife to cut a line across the top of the police car (I left about 1/2 inch at the edge of the card).
I cut out red rectangles, 2.5" by 3.5" and attached them to the back of the card to create a pocket.  I found stapling to the bottom, and taping to the top right corner worked best.
I flipped the card around, slipped a Valentine's Peppermint Patty into the slot, then closed the right side of the card with a small piece of tape.
If you look closely at this picture, you can see in the front card, on his arm on the right, there is a tiny heart punched out.  I had a mini heart punch and I wanted to punch out a heart (you stole my heart), but the punch didn't reach far enough in to his chest and I didn't want to wrinkle the card.
I totally love how these cards turned out and I think I'm going to arrest him if he doesn't put this picture on a mug for me for my birthday ;)

1 comment:

  1. Very cute. We did the lollipop ones last year for preschool...tons of great variations going around now. Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

    ReplyDelete