Thursday, June 3, 2010

Peanut butter cookies (think Girl Scout Doh Si Doh)



Before I say anything else, can I just say "GOODBYE $4 box of processed girl scout cookies and HELLO homemade party in my mouth!" Okay that said, we had yet another party to attend, which provided me with another opportunity to try a new recipe. Surprisingly, this time it was not cupcakes, but cookies. I'm forseeing a new addiction to making sandwich cookies. I found this recipe on a site called Savory Sweet Life, which is just one of the many on my ever growing cooking blog bookmarks.

Lately, I have been trying to find recipes for all the food items we miss from home that we can not possibly buy here and am trying to replicate them. So far, the Krispy Kreme doughnuts were a success. Now, these.

Oven: 350'

Cookies:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oats

Filling:
3 TBSP butter
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 TBSP heavy cream
1-2 TBSP milk

For the cookies:
Cream together butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Let mix until it is a pale tan fluffy mixture. Mix in egg and vanilla. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to the batter until blended in. Add the oats, mix until incorporated. Drop dough onto cookie sheet (I like to use a cookie scoop, like this one from Pampered chef). Lightly press down on the tops to make them like flattened balls. Bake about 12 min. Remove from oven and cool on cookie rack. This recipe made exactly 18 filled cookies- I felt as though being a sandwich cookie, the normal sized cookie was a bit too big, a bit too much to eat in one sitting, especially for a 2 year old, so next time, I might make 36 mini cookies.

For the filling:
Mix together butter and peanut butter. Slowly incorporate all of the confectioner's sugar, this will be a slightly crumbly mix at this point. Add in the cream, I was actually mixing this together with my hand held mixers on low- I wanted my filling to be fluffy! After adding the cream, I felt as though the filling was a bit too thick, so I added a few TBSP milk to reach my fluffy consistency. ( This was not done in the recipe I found, so it is up to you the consistency you want for the filling, I found it easier to spread once in the cookies). I had just enough filling for all 18 sandiches, with a small bit to taste of course.

OMG were they good!!!! I will be making these again (only when there's a party of course, so I don't eat them all. I even had a request from someone to try the Samoas (well now Caramel Delites- what's up with the name changes anyways?). I found that recipe, so you can look forward to that after my summer trip when I bring back all of the ingredients.

1 comment: