Sunday, June 27, 2010

Police birthday party

For the past few months, Owen has realized that he was going to be having a birthday. This year was exciting because I think it's the first year he really understood what it meant to have a birthday. He decided a LONG time ago that he wanted a police car birthday party and a GRAPE cake, yes grape. Talk about stress, I've never even heard of a grape cake.

Of course, Mr. Birthday, our imaginary decorating guy, comes to Massachusetts. Thanks to Uncle Seth and Auntie Liz for the "birthday traps" on the stairs- I think the others are going to be expecting birthday traps in the future.



Here's the rest:



And a close up of the table and the prized police car suitcase, watch out airport security, we'll be travelling with our own law enforcement now:



A while ago, I found this site with wicked cute outfits, Liliputians, that are for kids' birthdays, you can choose their age to get it put on their t-shirt. The price was quite high, ~$100 per outfit, I knew I could make something nice myself, here's what I came up with for less than $40 total for both birthday outfits:



I found all the supplies and prizes for his party from Roberts Company- it's a police supply store. For the gift bags, I had found some lunch bags last year in the dollar bin at Target with police cars, fire trucks, and taxis on them. Inside, I put police coloring books, plastic handcuffs, sheriff badges, pull back police cars, police pencils, police sticker scenes, and color in "wanted" sheets.



For party hats, we had plastic sheriff hats:



We had a donut eating contest because, well you know about police and donuts:



We were going to play red rover and do a running race to test their speed and strength, but unfortunately, it was quite hot, so we opted for playing with squirt guns and using the slip and slide:






The highlight of the party was a visit from a real police officer in a real police car. I don't think even a pony could top that.






And of course, here's the police cake (of course I left my collection of food colors at home, so I was stuck with the standard 4 color pack and had to improvise on the tires:



For the grape cake, I added frozen grape juice concentrate and grape extract (used for candy making):

Here's the recipe if you are ever requested to make a grape cake, it came out good, but honestly, most kids did not finish theirs:

For the cake and cupcakes:
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup frozen grape juice concentrate
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp grape extract

For the grape syrup:
3/4 cup frozen grape juice concentrate
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar

For the icing:
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
2 sticks butter
remaining grape syrup

For the cake, I beat the butter with the sugar, then scraped the sides of the mixer. Then, I added the eggs slowly and the grape extract. I then added the grape concentrate. I mixed together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and alternated adding them with the milk. I put some in cupcake tins and some in a small rectangular cake pan (so I could make the police car). I poked holes in the tops of the cupcakes and cake and drizzled the syrup on top once they cooled. I got the idea here at Annie's Eats.

For the icing, I followed the directions here at How To Eat a Cupcake.

All in all, it was a very fun birthday, here's the whole gang:



And, he's four now:

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This birthday party was out of this world. The kiddos are looking so cute in these photos. My son is asking me to arrange a birthday party for him. So I have to look for NYC venues and themes for this, as my home is very small to host such party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting it is very needed because every human being today want this information. Keep it up. Good luck and thanks for posting
    Design Your Own T-shirt | Bulk Custom T Shirts

    ReplyDelete