Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Homemade Buttermilk waffles



I was going through my two HUGE boxes of mail last weekend (these have been building up since January when I was last in the US). I found my two new Cook's Illustrated magazines and as luck would have it, there was a recipe for Buttermilk Waffles in the May/June 2010 issue. I LOVE waffles and there's just something about the ones from a box mix that I don't like. I am always looking for a good waffle recipe. Even more as luck would have it, I am here in the US while reading the recipe so I can grab all the ingredients to bring back to Japan to make them over and over again.

Ingredients:
2 cups Flour
1 TBSP sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried buttermilk powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil
1 1/4 cup unflavored seltzer water

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, buttermilk powder, and baking soda in large bowl. In separate bowl, mix together sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and oil. Slowly stire seltzer into the wet ingredients until combined. Make a small hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir this until just combined, it will be lumpy with clumps/streaks of flour- they will cook through in the waffle iron and you will not bite into a lump of flour.

Cook in waffle iron and serve warm.

These were definately worth making and I will be making them again!

Have you ever read a Cook's Illustrated magazine? They really explain the reasoning behind their ingredients and their methods and I have learned a lot about cooking from them. If you are afraid to cook or don't think you have the skills, I'd recommend trying one of their recipes someday, they usually don't disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen this blog?

    http://www.waffleizer.com/

    He waffles all sorts of things, including donuts....you could combine your loves!

    ReplyDelete