2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 TBSP crisco
1 cup strawberry quick powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg white
1 cup heavy cream
2 TBSP milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar (*when I made mine, I was out of white vinegar, I used cider vinegar and the smell and taste were not noticeable at all)
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
3 cups confectioner's sugar
2-3 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1) Preheat the oven
2) In bowl of mixer, combine crisco, strawberry milk powder, and brown sugar- mix with paddle attachment until crumbly. Meanwhile, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl, set aside for later.
3) Add egg and egg white to the sugar mixture, beat well. Add heavy cream, mix until smooth.
4) In another small bowl, mix together milk, baking soda, and vinegar- will foam slightly.
5) Put baking soda mix on top of sugar mixture, then put flour mixture on top of this. Slowly stir, scrape down sides of bowl, stir again until combined.
6) Use a small cookie scoop, drop dough evenly spaced on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
7) Cook for 7-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8) Let cool on cookie rack, while cooling, make frosting.
9) To make frosting filling, beat butter in mixer with paddle attachment, add in confectioner's sugar and vanilla, beat until combined. Add in milk, if necessary, add in more milk 1/2 tsp at a time for desired consistency/taste.
10) Put icing in a pastry bag with your favorite tip (or a ziploc with the corner cut off. Squeeze icing around the outside edges of the whoopie pie and spiral it into the center. Place another pie round onto the top and press lightly to make the "sandwich". Roll edges in sprinkles if you like.
11) For sprinkle garnish, use some leftover filling, add milk to make it the consistency of glue, brush it on and dip in sprinkles.
Which one do you want?
The sprinkles just make it look so pretty!
The kids did all the sprinkle work and had a lot of fun doing it too (oh and even more fun eating them!).
What a fun way to make treats even more special for the kids!