Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Busy Cooking: Homemade Pink Lemonade

Have you ever seen a pink lemon?  - Neither have I.  Do you ever wonder how they made that delicious and extremely popular version of lemonade?  Pink lemonade is so subtly different in taste than regular lemonade, but there's just something about it that makes me want it more than the yellow version.  My kids are always begging me to make homemade lemonade.  I have fond memories of using my Nana's citrus press to make homemade orange juice and lemonade, then dreaming up my own combinations.  I wanted my kids to be able to have the same experience.  I was determined to set out and find out what makes the pink lemonade different from it's yellow counterpart, but it's so subtle you can't taste another red fruit flavor added in to make the taste noticeable.  After some internet research, and a few test runs, I have found the secret to pink lemonade- want to know?

It's GRENADINE!!!!!  (and you thought yellow and red made orange- no!, it's pink!)

I adapted this recipe from soulfoodsoutherncooking.

Pink Lemonade:

1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 5-6 lemons)
4 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp grenadine

1) Put 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar in saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved.  This is called a simple syrup.  Set aside to cool (now you will not have to worry about the sugar floating to the bottom).

2) Juice the lemons
3) Pour the 1 cup lemon juice into pitcher, add remaining 3 1/4 cup water, add simple syrup, and grenadine.  Stir.

4) Pour into an ice filled glass and enjoy ( you can adjust sugar amounts depending on how tart or sweet you like your lemonade).

Ah yum:  What a way to beat the heat, bring a bowl full of ice, cold homemade pink lemonade, lots of cups, and straws outside and enjoy your drink.
Let your kids pour their own, who cares if they spill on themselves, that's what the hose is for!
This was a great way to spend a hot afternoon last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment