Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year: New Year's Challenges

I've never really made any New Year's Resolutions.  This year, instead of making a resolution, I'm making myself a list of challenges to complete by the end of the year.  The challenges range in a wide variety of categories, like this blog, cooking, reading, education, exercise, family, sewing, etc.  I have a lot of people ask me how I do it, just in general with all the kids and things I like to do.  My answer is "why not?", I'm alive, I'm healthy, I have abilities, why not make the most of it while I can.  As I post this list, I challenge you to make a list of challenges for yourself for the New Year- take the time while you have it to make your life more interesting and foster your talents, you have no excuse to say I'm bored, there's always something to make, try, learn, or do.  

Cooking:
Make croissants
Make danish
Make ravioli
Make homemade pasta sauce
Make english muffins
Make strawberry jelly

Sewing:
Sew one article of clothing per month
Finish 6 quilts
Make the princess dress I bought the pattern for and keep second guessing my talents on
Make curtains for dining room and my bedroom

Exercise:
Run a 5K in less than 20 minutes
Complete a half marathon
Do a warrior dash
Get my kids in a race
Do a kids mini triathalon for the kids

Reading:
Read 6 books
Get rid of books I've finished and give to someone who can read them next

Education:
Organize the kids craft area
Provide fun/exciting activities for my kids for weekends and afterschool
Teach Hazel how to read
Teach myself photoshop, by sitting down for one hour per week and using the manual
Become a better photographer by reading Understanding Exposure and giving myself photo assignments

Organizing:
Get rid of 365 things
Buy less stuff
Repurpose at least 50 of the 365 things
Finish unpacking by the end of January
Make my kids' rooms fun and comfortable
Repaint 6 pieces of furniture

Giving back:
Do at least one random act of kindess per month
Work at a soup kitchen with my kids
Along with my kids, sponsor a child's christmas

Personal:
Start an etsy shop and sell at least 12 things
Make labels for my shop
Lose my fear of selling my things and worrying that they aren't good enough
Spend at least 30 minutes with my kids playing outside (weather permitting) each day
Write two real letters to friends per month
Send birthday cards to all my friends and family ON TIME
Go out to dinner with my husband with no kids, once per month

I have a year to do it, right?

What are you going to challenge yourself with this year?




No comments:

Post a Comment