Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Leftover Heart Tarts

Every year, my dad makes turkey tettrazine with his leftover turkey.  When I've had my own Thanksgivings away from home, I've always mixed all the leftovers (turkey, carrots, potatoes, stuffing, and gravy) and made them into a pie.  A few years ago, I acquired some cute little heart and star shaped tart makers from Williams Sonoma.  Tonight, I made a wheat pie crust, and mixed together all my leftovers, to make these cute little tarts for dinner.

I rolled out the dough and cut out a bottom and a top heart, the bottom of the press functions as a cutter:

Then, I put the bottom crust on the bottom of the press:

I filled it with my leftover mixture:

I put on the top crust:

I pressed: (if you use the back of the top, you can make a cut out with a small opening in the shape of a heart too.  I didn't want the opening on these though)

I put them on my pizza stone and baked at 350' for about 30 minutes, and then I served them with cranberry sauce on the side.  You can actually just pick them up with your hand and eat them- no fork required ;)

Wheat crust:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 TBSP sugar
3/4 tsp salt
14 TBSP (1 3/4 cup butter)
~ 1/2 cup cold water

Mix together flours, sugar, and salt.  Cut in butter until pea sized clumps form.  Add water until dough forms a smooth ball. Roll out on lightly floured surface.

I made 15 heart tarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment