Friday, March 9, 2012

Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup

I realize it's been quite some time since I actually posted a recipe that wasn't a dessert or breakfast.  This soup is sooo delicious!  In fact, it's so good, that I have probably made it once a week since first trying it before Thanksgiving.  I haven't posted it yet because I was never happy with how the pictures turned out.

I'm happy to say that yesterday, my budding 4 year old photographer and I got a good shot.  As I was pouring the hot soup, she set up the chair by the window, with a cloth on it, and even carried the bowl of soup over without even being asked.  When I turned around I was surprised to see the shot all set up, so I went with it.  So, what you see is all Hazel's doing.  She even asked to use the remote so she could "take the shot".

This soup is loaded with vegetable goodness and won't disappoint.  You can top it with crumbled bacon or serve with toasted bread. (or in this case, a toasted homemade bagel-recipe to come).  When I said I made it about every week, I'm not kidding, I've eaten it for lunch 3 out of 5 days every week- even Hazel loves it.  If you're looking for a way to sneak veggies in to unsuspecting picky eaters, this might be the way.

One time, I found "carnival cauliflower" at the grocery store- it was purple.  I thought it would be fun- see photos below of the purple cauliflower in the simmering soup.  When it was pureed, I thought it would be an awesome purple, but with the celery and carrots, the color got muted to a grey mauve.  It still tasted just as good.

Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower soup:


Source:  Cooks Like a Champion, who adapted it from GoodLifeEats

Oven:  400'

1 head cauliflower
1 head garlic
1 TBSP olive oil
3 oz bacon (or 2 TBSP butter)
1 medium carrot
1 1/2 celery stalks
1 small onion
1 TBSP flour
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup white wine
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup half and half

1) Preheat oven to 400'.  Cut cauliflower florets off head and place on baking sheet, toss with olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Cut top off garlic head, so the tops of the cloves are exposed.
Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top of garlic.  Wrap garlic head in aluminum foil and place on baking sheet with cauliflower. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.  Take cauliflower out and leave garlic in for 5 more minutes, then remove from oven to cool. Once garlic is cool, squeeze the cloves out of the head, discard the head.

2) In stockpan, cook bacon until crisp- remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel.  Discard all of the grease, except for 1 TBSP.  Put the 1 TBSP grease back in the pot.  If you are vegetarian or do not have bacon on hand, you can simply melt 2 TBSP butter in the pan and use this for the grease.

3) Dice the onion, carrot, and celery, add to pot, and saute for about 10 minutes.  Add in spices and flour, stir for about 30 seconds.  Add in the white wine and water, then mix, until simmering, about 2 minutes.  Add in garlic, bay leaf, and chicken stock, let cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
4) Add cauliflower and let cook five more minutes.  Discard the bay leaf.  Place soup in your blender and puree to desired consistency.  If you like chunky, you might want to only puree half. I like mine smooth, so I pureed it all.

5) Return soup back to pan, add in the half and half, mix to combine, then serve.  Top with crumbled bacon, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Even the baby enjoyed the soup- nothing like a nap on a full stomach with your favorite stuffed animal!


2 comments:

  1. Def. making this. Got to love that stuffed animal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She won't sleep without the stuffed animal!

    ReplyDelete