Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sparkling Raspberry Limeade

It's been one hot summer here.  For the past ten years, we've experienced hot summers, so the heat doesn't bother me.  The shock is that it has been hot since pretty much April, and continues to do so now.  One thing I've been trying to do lately is cut back on soda.  I usually only drink one pepsi a day, but lately, it's been like 3 a week.  I've filled my bubbly drink need by mixing juice with soda water- you get used to it.

My brother used to work at an ice cream shop and one thing I always used to ask him for was a Raspberry Lime Rickey.  If I was lucky, he'd bring me one home- I don't think I have had one since he stopped working there, years and years ago.  When I saw this recipe in Food Network magazine this summer, I immediately ripped it out.  Fresh lime juice and raspberry sauce mixed in with soda water and you have the perfect bubbly fruity drink for a hot hot day.  I mix up a batch of the raspberry lime juice and keep it in the fridge, along with a liter of soda water, so when the craving hits, I simply mix up a fresh bubbly glass.  If you're having company, you can always mix up all the raspberry lime juice with a liter of soda water in a pitcher for all to enjoy.

Raspberry Limeade:

6 oz fresh raspberries (3/4 cup)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (16 small or 6 large limes)
1 liter soda or seltzer water

1) Put raspberries, water, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat to a simmer, until sugar dissolves.  Crush raspberries against the side of the pan to squeeze out the juices.  Set aside once sugar is dissolved and let cool to room temperature.

2) Squeeze 1 cup fresh lime juice.  Put in medium sized bowl.  Once raspberry juice is cooled, strained the seeds and pulp with a fine mesh sieve.  Place the sieve over the bowl of lime juice and allow the raspberry juice to pour into the bowl.  Mix the raspberry and lime juice together.
3) Get a glass of ice, fill halfway with raspberry lime juice and top off with soda or seltzer water, garnish with a slice of lime and/or raspberries.
Source:  Food Network Magazine, September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment