Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Cider Glazed Chicken with Apple Shallot Vinaigrette
This is a recipe that has caught my eye when flipping through my recipe binder several times. Last night, I was planning on making chicken soup, but Dave came home with a gallon of fresh pressed apple cider and it was like fate. This dinner was more than I imagined it would be. The homemade vinaigrette set this over the top! Eating an apple dipped in the vinaigrette, made a sweet taste, almost like I had sprinkled sugar on top of it (yes, I'm getting desperate!). But, seriously, I was surprised by how delicious it was and I was excited when there was enough left over chicken for me to make another salad for lunch the next day. This is a great recipe to try to kick off the fall apple season!
Cider Glazed Chicken:
2 TBSP grapeseed or olive oil
4 boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup apple cider
1 TBSP cider vinegar
Apple Shallot Vinaigrette:
1 medium apple (Gala or McIntosh)
3/4 tsp mustard powder
3 TBSP grapeseed or olive oil
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1) Preheat the oven to 400'.
2) Heat an oven safe skillet with 2 TBSP oil in it over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken. Cook chicken on one side until browned (about 4 min), flip, cook then flip and brown other side. Place pan in oven and bake until chicken is cooked through (12-15 min). When chicken is cooked, remove pan from oven, place chicken on a plate to cool, return pan to a burner for the cider glaze.
3) Mince the apple and the shallot, place in a small bowl. Mix in the cider vinegar and mustard and set aside to marinate, about 10 minutes. After the ten minutes, add in the 3 TBSP oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, mix and set aside for later.
4) In the pan that you placed back on the burner, add the cider- heat over medium heat. Stir the cider, scraping bit off the bottom of the pan. Boil and reduce the liquid by half, about 2-3 minutes. Add the 1 TBSP cider vinegar. Mix, remove pan from heat (optional to swirl in 1 TBSP butter). Set sauce aside until serving.
5) Shred chicken breasts into bite sized pieces- throw them in the pan with the cider sauce, mix it up to coat. Place chicken on top fresh lettuce. Cut the remaining apple into thin slices- place this in the bowl with the chicken and lettuce. Drizzle on the apple shallot dressing. Optional, sprinkle on a handful of slivered almonds.
Source: Bon Appetit November 2011
Hope you like it!