Friday, September 14, 2012

No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls


Do you have a fear of using yeast?  Do you avoid using yeast because of the time it takes to make something with it?  Do you love cinnamon rolls?  If you have answered yes to all of these questions, put your apron on!

I have seen these cinnamon rolls in my cookbook before and then I saw them online at two different blogs I enjoy reading.  It was like someone was telling me to try them.  I was a little doubtful since I know I already found the perfect cinnamon roll.  But, last Saturday, I was in a rush, and I wanted something sweet and homemade (I'll get to why in a minute).  I remembered these cinnamon rolls, and decided to give them a whirl.  I've done you all a favor by doing this, because these are easy - anyone can make them, even my younger brother- hint hint!

For the next 28 days, I'm participating in a challenge at my CrossFit gym not to eat sugar, grains, or dairy.  So far, I have succeeded (4 days in).  These cinnamon rolls, along with pizza for dinner, seemed like the perfect farewell to delicious baked goods for the next month.  I only got one, that's how quick my family gobbled them up.
Yes, there is prize money involved in this no eating sugar thing, that's my motivation.  I want a new lens for my camera- and to be stronger!

No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls:

Oven: 425'

Dough:
2 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c heavy cream

Filling:
3 TBSP butter, melted
1/3 c brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon

Icing:
1 TBSP butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2-3 TBSP milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Adapted from Cook's Country via Brown Eyed Baker

1) Preheat the oven to 425'.

2) Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Using a spoon, mix in the heavy cream until incorporated, form dough into a ball, lightly knead on floured surface for about 30 seconds until smooth ball forms. (I did all of this in the kitchen aid mixer). Roll out dough into a rectangle ~9x12.  Spread melted butter on top of dough to 1/2" of the edges.  Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar- sprinkle on top of the melted butter.

3) Put your hands on the long side of the dough, tightly roll the dough into a cylinder.  Using your fingers, press the top seam closed.

4) Cut out the cinnamon rolls, about 1- 1 1/2" thick -(8-10 rolls, depending how thick you want them).  Place the rolls about 1" apart on a prepared greased sheet.  I did what she recommended and baked mine in a pie pan, but there were not enough to fill the pan, and mine were close together and they were not round, but kite shaped- I'm using a cookie sheet next time.  Space them 2" apart.

5) Bake 18-24 minutes, depending on your oven.  Rotate halfway through and check for doneness when tops are golden brown.

6) Cream the butter in a bowl for the icing.  Cream in the confectioner's sugar.  Add in the vanilla.  Slowly add alternating milk and confectioner's sugar, until desired consistency is reached.  Drop small scoops of icing on top of hot cinnamon rolls.  Use the back of a spoon to spread out the icing.
Only 24 days and I can grab another!


No comments:

Post a Comment