Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cake batter ice cream


For the past three years, we have been making our own ice cream. When we moved to Japan, the lack of ice cream flavor availability in the grocery store became evident to us. There are lots of novelty cones and such, but if you want a scoop, you can pay almost 500 yen for a scoop sized container of HagenDaas. The first Christmas we lived here, the only thing I knew I wanted was an ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen aid, which by the way, I love! We have pretty much been using the same vanilla recipe that I used to use when I taught chemistry, easy to make and good to eat.

Recently, I've been looking around for ideas online and came across one for cake batter ice cream. Today is the second day in a row that I have made this ice cream. Last night, I made the recipe I found on Annie's Eats. Today, I changed it around to see if I could add more cake flavor and use less eggs (I'm still not sure the point of the eggs in the recipe).

Here's the recipe I used tonight, and I liked it a bit better than the one on Annie's, it's only a slight variation.

2 cup heavy cream (divided)
1 egg yolk
pinch salt
3/4 cup vanilla cake mix
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup whole milk
2 tsp vanilla

In a saucepan over medium low stir together cake mix, sugar, salt, and 1 cup cream. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolk. When the cake mix/cream mixture is warmed up, slowly pour it into the bowl with the egg yolk and whisk while you add, this is to help incorporate the yolk into the mixture without it cooking and forming chunks first. Add the rest of the warm cream mixture, stir, then return everything to the pot and continue heating until it reaches a temperature of 170'. I noticed the mine would turn yellowish and clumpy almost right before it reached that temperature.

Put the remaining 1 cup cream in a bowl with the vanilla and milk. Mix together. When the mixture on the stove reaches 170', slowly pour this into the cream/milk bowl and stir until mixed. Cover this bowl and refrigerate until chilled, I left it in the fridge about 1-2 hours.

Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and start it up until it forms ice cream, then store in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment