Saturday, April 24, 2010

Outer space mural

Currently, we are studying outer space. I have not limited it to any specific part of space, so we are looking at all aspects, to name a few: constellations, space shuttles, planets, and space exploration. We are looking through a LOT of non-fiction books and watching some great DVD's, I'll post a list later.

We got a giant sized roll of paper from Dick Blick. Let me tell you something, if you can afford it, it is a GREAT investment, it will last a long time and you can cut off a big enough piece to keep lots of kids busy for a long time. For the mural, I printed off a picture of an astronaut on an 8 x 10 piece of paper (I don't remember where I got it, I just searched on google). Then, I printed out a head shot of each of the kids on a 5 x 7 photo paper. I cut out the kids' faces and put them in the helmet of the astronaut picture, cut the astronaut out, then laminated for more stability.

First, the kids and I painted the background with black, blue, and white paint, we tried to do swirls and big strokes to make it look like space:



Good thing we used washable paint:



Finished with the paint:



Starting to decorate with planets and stickers:



The bird of paradise constellation:



The completed project hanging in front of our fireplace:



Close ups of the astronauts, yes Nathaniel is thrilled that he is touching the sun:





After it was hung, the kids were running up to it pretending they were going to different planets and then Nathaniel started running a quiz show. Here are some of the questions he asked:

1) What object on the board is not a planet, but a star? The sun

2) Which planet has an atmosphere that would crush you if you didn't melt first? Venus

3) What is the coldest planet and swings inside its neighbors orbit? Pluto (yes I didn't break the news to him)

4) Which four planets have rings? Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune

More to come when the rocket makes its way in by the end of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment