Look what has become of our train table:
I decided it was time for a new look, there were a few things that I didn't like about the table, including that it became a storage unit. In this picture, you can see the side handles are low and stuff falls right off the table under them (like marbles or cars), defeating the point of keeping small things off the floor. Also, the surface was quite slippery.
First thing, we cut some cardboard into strips tall enough to fit inside the edges of the table, to cover the handle holds and to give us some creative edge (we painted them black). I didn't use a ruler, figured it wouldn't be up for long anyways, plus we have sooo much cardboard ready to use, if I messed up, there was plenty more waiting to be used.
Then, a lot of hot glue gun sticks and four rolls of felt later, voila:
A surface easy to drive on, not slippery, and easy to remove and put something else on when we change our mind on what we are playing with. I have already cut out pictures of gas stations, etc. from our car magazines for the next change. Total cost: 400 yen ($4.00) and one big blister on my finger from being burned by the hot glue gun.